Saturday, March 16, 2013

Slow and Steady?

I'm about halfway through the stimulation phase of our IVF cycle, and I've had three monitoring appointments so far.  The point of these is to ensure that I'm being pushed hard enough by the drugs to be successful, but not so much that I'm at risk of Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation Syndrome (OHSS) (aka super scary ovarian explosion disease).    The things measured at each appointment include: thickness of the endometrium, number of visible follicles, diameter of biggest follicles, and the estradiol levels.  Here's my lady-bits' report card.


  • The endometrium should be between 6 and 14 mm thick.  Right now, I'm at 8mm.  Woot.
  • The total number of mature follicles before egg retrieval should be 5-8, as well as many smaller ones.  Right now, I have 3 leading ladies.
  • Mature follicles measure around 18-22 mm in diameter.  My 3 are about 9mm across.
  • Estradiol levels vary widely from woman to woman, but the key is that I should be roughly doubling my number every 48 hours.  Additionally, each mature follicle produces roughly 200 pg/mL.  My three measurements on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday have been 85, 101, and 220, respectively.


Soooo, I'm not growing eggs like gangbusters exactly, which is a tad discouraging since I'm on the maximum dosage of the aggressive protocol.  I keep imagining myself driving a really old car, in which I'm pushing the gas pedal all the way to the floor and only getting a tired put-put-put sputter.  The Doc acknowledges I'm showing some really low numbers, but she said the important thing to focus on is that I AM growing.  Trying to stay positive and keep my cortisol levels nice and loooow.  Sigh.  Well, who ever said making a baby was fun?  Oh, wait...


No comments:

Post a Comment